To keep pace with a changing academic environment, new technology, and other institutions of higher education across the country, many of the aging facilities on the University of Tennessee’s Knoxville campus are in the process of being significantly updated. In this case, two adjacent buildings – the 1950’s Brehm Animal Science Building (113,000 sq. ft.) and the 1920’s McLeod Food Science Building (36,000 sq. ft.) – underwent renovations simultaneously.
The Brehm Animal Science Building needed not only a facelift and additional planning for new entry spaces, administration areas, offices, and support facilities, but also the integration of new technology throughout the building, especially in the laboratories. The animal arena was also renovated to improve seating, circulation, and air quality for both human and animal occupants. The McLeod Food Science Building was practically rebuilt to modernize administration areas, offices, food preparation areas, and laboratories. Additionally, a new Pilot Plant for testing new technologies in mass food production was built up to USDA Certification standards.
C. Laney and Sons was honored to be chosen as the general contractor for this project, providing on-site construction and guidance through changes to the design and budget. Today, the Brehm-McLeod building is the jewel of UT’s agricultural campus, housing nearly 8,000 students and thousands of faculty administrators and guests each day.